Saturday 14 May 2011

Sada Mire's fascinating work in Somaliland

CNN African Voices this week featured Dr Sada Mire, former UCL researcher, and her sister Tohur talking about their work; Sada as an archaeologist and Tohur as a medical doctor. Sada talks about the impact of having discovered 5,000-year-old rock art in the Somaliland.She is now on a mission to protect the material fabric of the site but also trying to explore its possible impact for the local community. 



Sada says: "So for me, finding an extraordinary archaeological site I had to think how is this going to help these people and not just me as a researcher... My hope for this is to be able to set up an institution which can help produce students -- Somali archaeologists, Somali cultural heritage managers."

Let us know if you need conservators, Sada! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

My blog list